WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Today, U.S. Senators Mark Warner and Tim Kaine announced $1,357,959 in federal funding for nine Virginia fire departments through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The funding for nine fire departments in Concord, Chilhowie, Fairfax, Gasburg, Glade Spring, Kenbridge, Lovingston, Newport News, and Norton will be awarded through FEMA’s Assistant to Firefighters Grant (AFG) Program.
“This federal funding will provide fire departments with critical support to enhance training operations and purchase life-saving equipment that will help keep Virginians safe,” the Senators said.
The following Virginia fire departments will receive funding under the AFG program:
- The Concord Volunteer Fire Department will receive $64,762 to purchase vehicle extrication equipment;
- The Town of Chilhowie Fire & EMS Department will receive $60, 313 to purchase portable and mobile radios;
- The City of Fairfax Fire Department will receive $136, 182 to support training operations for firefighters;
- The Gasburg Volunteer Fire Department will receive $46,116 to purchase an air compressor and fill station equipment;
- The Glade Spring Volunteer Fire Department will receive $38,096 to purchase an air compressor and fill station equipment.
- The Kenbridge Fire Department will receive $54,739 to update its source capture exhaust system technology;
- The Lovingston Volunteer Fire Department will receive $142,381 to purchase self-contained breathing apparatus equipment;
- The City of Newport News Fire Department will receive $404,600 to purchase power lift cots and stretchers and;
- The City of Norton Fire Department will receive $320,358 to purchase self-contained breathing apparatus equipment and face pieces.
The primary goal of FEMA’s AFG program is to enhance the safety of the public and firefighters by providing direct financial assistance to eligible fire departments, nonaffiliated Emergency Medical Services organizations and State Fire Training Academies for critically-needed resources.