Aug 05 2020
WASHINGTON – U.S. Sens. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine (both D-VA) today announced $1,787,477 in federal funding for fire departments in Virginia through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)’s Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) program. The AFG program supports local fire departments by providing funds for new equipment and training.
“We are pleased to announce this critical funding to support Virginia’s firefighters. We must ensure they are always equipped with the tools and training necessary to keep them safe as they protect us from fires and other dangers in the community,” the Senators said.
The following Virginia fire departments will receive funding for operations and safety under the AFG program:
- The Wintergreen Fire Department will receive $203,809;
- The Warren County Fire and Rescue will receive $725,454;
- The Fries Volunteer Fire Department will receive $34,077;
- The Stephens City Fire & Rescue Company will receive $94,285;
- The Lynchburg Fire Department will receive $88,941;
- Richmond County Fire and Emergency Services will receive $640,909.
The primary goal of FEMA’s AFG program is to enhance the safety of the public and firefighters with respect to fire-related hazards by providing direct financial assistance to eligible fire departments, nonaffiliated Emergency Medical Services organizations and State Fire Training Academies for critically-needed resources to equip and train emergency personnel, recognize standards, enhance operations efficiencies, foster interoperability, and support community resilience.